- Exam Statistics - what is your chance of passing on the first attempt?
- Scheduling the online exam with a professional AIHC proctor
- Computer Requirements and our Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy
- Tips to Study for an AIHC Online Certification Exam
- What to expect on Certification Exam Day
- After Certification - Obtaining Continuing Education Units, or CEUs, to maintain your credential
EXAM STATISTICS - WHAT IS MY CHANCE OF PASSING THE CERTIFICATION EXAM ON MY FIRST ATTEMPT?
The Certification Exam Board has been tracking first-attempt certification pass rates and reporting this information for AIHC since 2007. Recent statistics demonstrate the following:
- Online Training
- For clients successfully completing the online training program within the recommended timeframe and scheduling the certification exam within 2 months after course completion, there is a 92% chance of passing on the first attempt.
- Certification Only
- For those clients registered for the Certification Exam Only and possessing 5-10 years of experience in that field, there is an 75% change of passing on the first attempt. There is the option to upgrade to the online course. The charge is paying the difference between the Exam Only fee and the Online Course Fee.
- Live Event Training Camp
- Our live events are an awesome way to learn, network and get your questions answered. Our training camp instructors are available to socialize after class and provide one-on-one or small group discussions. The pass rate for a first attempt when the exam is scheduled within 4-6 weeks after camp is 92%.
- The pass rate drops to 66% on the first attempt to certify when the exam is taken more than 2 months after camp or online course completion.
SCHEDULING YOUR CERTIFICATION EXAM
- Upon successful completion of online training, an email notification will be sent to you. A subsequent email is then generated by the Certification Department providing specific instructions on how to schedule your certification exam through our online scheduling system, Appointy. If you do not see the email containing these instructions in your inbox, check your spam folder. Because certification exams must be scheduled in advance with an AIHC professional proctor, you cannot schedule your exam within 7 days of the current date.
- Get your exam scheduled! The certification exam is OPTIONAL, but the cost is INCLUDED in your training tuition, provided you take the exam within three (3) months of completing the training program. Take the exam soon after completion while the information is fresh. The pass rate is much higher for those that do so.
- If needed, 2 additional attempts may be purchased for a fee of $75 per attempt.
COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE EXAMS AND OUR CANCELLATION/RESCHEDULING POLICY
- When taking our certification exams, there are specific computer requirements. You need a computer which has Internet Access and an operating system such as Window 10 or MAC OS X. If you are using a PC, we recommend using a second computer, such as a laptop where you can pull up learning materials for reference during the exam.
- A high-speed Internet connection is highly recommended and Email is required as well as a phone to communicate with your Proctor during the exam.
- If you have questions, Email your Proctor PRIOR to exam day to avoid problems on exam day.
- Are you a "no show" on exam day? Your proctor cannot reach you by phone?
- No Shows are considered an attempt and you will need to reschedule your exam date/time.
- There is a rescheduling fee of $75 required before any additional exam attempts can be scheduled.
- Fee Waiver: if there is proof of extenuating circumstances related to not taking your exam on the scheduled date/time, Email this information to be reviewed by the Certification Exam Board.
- Conflict in Your Schedule? Need to Reschedule Your Exam in Advance?
- Members may cancel or reschedule their Certification Exam 6 days or more in advance to avoid an imposed penalty.
- Members should use Appointy (our online exam scheduling software) to cancel or reschedule their Certification Exam during this time frame.
- To properly cancel or reschedule a Certification Exam within 5 days and up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled exam date, the member is required to contact the Certification Department by phone at (330) 952- 0827. A $25.00 rescheduling fee is imposed for changes made within this time frame.
TIPS TO STUDY FOR AN AIHC ONLINE, OPEN NOTE CERTIFICATION EXAM
- Certification exams are open note. Get organized in advance. Download course information such as the acronyms & abbreviations list and create lesson PDFs using the control P function and save (or print) the lesson pages.
- Practice electronically searching terms within those documents (ctrl + F) when you are taking lesson quizzes and the mock exam for review.
- Certification exams are timed. All exams are 3 hours of testing time scheduled with a professional Exam Proctor online. Use the mock exam to practice pacing yourself for exam day. Attempt to be halfway through your exam when your time is halfway up. Time extensions will not be given on the day of the exam.
- Plan to take your certification exam in a comfortable, quiet place with minimal distractions.
- Make sure your exam day computer is in good working condition prior to the day of the exam.
- Run any updates the night before.
- Upload any documents you’ll need to the computer in advance. Use 2 monitors or 2 computers so you can test on one computer and reference materials on the other.
- Read questions carefully.
- Be sure you understand how to answer the question – what is really being asked?
- Use key words in the question to search PDF documents – have the lessons PDFs open and ready on exam day!
- Fill-in-the-Blank: Spelling counts! The exam software cannot recognize erroneous characters, including inappropriate spacing.
- Answer the question with confidence, then do NOT go back and change the answer.
- For those questions where you are unsure, “flag” and come back later to review how you answered that question.
- Do not leave any unanswered questions.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON CERTIFICATION EXAM DAY
Please note: A Proctor is assigned to provide technical support to you during the certification exam and cannot provide guidance on exam content nor make changes to your computer system remotely.
Before the Start of Your Exam:
- Make sure the phone number you provided is the best way to reach you and do not silence that phone. Turn off/silence all other phones, email notifications, pagers, etc.
- Have your course documents open on your computer for quick, easy access and close other unnecessary programs/documents that may cause distraction.
- Have your AIHC Exams log-in information ready so that you can start your exam promptly.
- Have your email open to receive the link to your certification exam page.
At the Start of Your Exam
- The proctor will call you at the scheduled exam time and request verifying information.
- After verification, the proctor will email you the certification exam web address to access using your AIHC Exams log-in information.
- Ask the proctor any questions you may have before the exam begins, remebering that the Proctor cannot provide an advice regarding exam content.
- Once you are logged in, the proctor will briefly review the certification exam process and software after which your exam time will begin. Exam time will be tracked by the proctor.
- Your proctor will call when your time is approximately halfway up and, if needed, with a 15 minute warning and when your exam time has expired.
Upon Completion of Your Exam
- If you finish prior to the end of your exam time, call your proctor immediately.
- Do not submit your answers until the proctor tells you to do so.
- Your unofficial exam results will be available immediately.
- The proctor will forward these exam results to the Certification Exam Board for review.
- You will receive your official results via email within 10 business days of the exam date with information about your next steps in the certification process.
After Certification - You'll Need Annual CEUs
Continuing Education is critical to maintain a professional credential. Obtaining 6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) is required annually. AIHC is a non-profit organization, so we offer various alternatives to make maintaining the credential easy:
- Before it is time to renew your annual membership (maintaining annual membership is required for your credential), check out the Renewals Page for CEU packages which offer deep discounts on short courses to satisfy your CEU requirements.
- We also offer free CEUs through our YouTube Education Channel (check out the eligible playlists) and Educational CEU Blog Articles. You may also earn CEUs for reading our monthly online newsletters.
- We accept CEUs earned through other organizations when you can supply proof of attendance or proof of completion (certificate) demonstrating the number of CEUs earned. We accept AHIMA, AAPC, AAHAM, HCCA, MGMA as examples and 1 hour = 1 CEU toward your credit for annual renewal purposes.